Magic Cleaning Tips – Maids and Cleaners submitted cleaning tips.
There is nothing like having bright, shiny metal around to show that a home is lovingly cared for. Whether is it a buffed front door handle or sparkling cutlery, a little effort in this area really does reap rewards
1. Pick a dry day to clean outdoor brass. Polish door handles, knockers, locks and letterboxes until they are gleaming. Apply a layer of colourless nail varnish to help keep them shining for longer.
2. Another great tip for polishing brass is to use olive oil, polished on with a soft duster, then rinsed off with water and washing up liquid. Use a second clean duster to buff afterwards. Lemon juice will also help brighten and restore brass
3. Leave very dirty brass soaking in coca cola overnight to loosen the dirt.
4. Restore lacquered brass by removing the old lacquer with methylated spirits, then rinsing the item in warm water. Dry and clean with metal polish, before reapplying the lacquer.
5. Remove tarnish for in between the tines of silver forks by dipping a pipe cleaner in silver polish. Never leave silver standing in cleaning liquid for more than two minutes.
6. Use baking powder on a damp cloth to clean chrome and restore a shine.
7. Tear off a piece of silver foil and crumple it into a ball to clean chrome parts of a bicycle, or to tackle old, dirty or dull copper.
8. Copper can also be brightened up with an equal mix of vinegar and salt. Rub on, then rinse with warm water and polish with a soft cloth to a shiny finish.