The carpets and rugs in our homes have to be very forgiving. They get trampled on, squashed under heavy furniture and have all kinds of things spilled on them during the course of their lifetime.
So, how can we help keep them looking as nice as possible for as long as possible?
One great way is to employ the services of a professional steam cleaning company. However, we can also do much ourselves to make sure your carpets remain in top condition for as long as possible.
1. Do not vacuum a new carpet until at least six weeks after it has been laid. This will allow the pile to settle down. Use a hand brush or carpet sweeper to remove any bits.
2. Use a liner under a carpet if you are laying it on a wooden floor. This stops any dust from the floor boards rising up and getting inside the carpet fibres. Especially important with lighter coloured carpets.
3. Vacuum carpets once a week to keep them in top condition – and even more frequently where there is heavy usage. Treat them to a steam clean by a professional carpet steam cleaning company at least once a year.
4. Mop up stains as soon as you discover them and seek professional advice where necessary. Again, contact a company offering steam cleaning services for help, or to book their expertise.
5. If a wool carpet has dents in it from where a piece of heavy furniture has stood for a time, place an ice cube in the dent and allow to melt. When it is dry, vacuum thoroughly to restore the flattened pile.
6. When laying stair carpet, make sure that the pile lies down the stairs to prolong its life. Consider laying it with a spare fold at the top and bottom, so that you can move it up or down a few inches per year. This helps even out the heavy wear on the edges of the treads.
7. Ask guests to remove their shoes as they enter your home to reduce wear and tear on your carpets. Have a basket of comfortable house slippers available for them to slip on instead.
8. You can find steam carpet cleaning companies all over the internet. The best way to choose the right one for you is to seek personal recommendations. Look at companies’ website for personal testimonials and don’t be afraid to call them and ask to speak to other satisfied customers before you commit to using their services.